Valentine’s Day for me had always just been another day, due to never having a boyfriend to share it with, however I am now in a relationship which means this year the date has some sort of meaning to me. Despite having many negative connotations, and appearing to be an overly commercialised day I think Valentine’s Day is an important one to take time out to spend time with your loved one. For me, Valentine’s today isn’t about extravagant gifts but about showing your partner how much you love them which doesn’t need to involve presents. Yes of course I’ve bought my boyfriend a card and few presents but just spending time with him means so much more especially as we are in a long distance relationship. I’ve told him that he doesn’t need to get me anything extravagant and that I’d be more than happy with a cheap bunch of flowers, because as sad as it is, I’m 20 and I’ve never had anyone buy me flowers before.
In this post I’m going to be sharing with you small gifts or ways you can show your partner (there are both male and female ideas) you love them without splashing the cash:
- A bunch of flowers – Yes this can end up being a pricey option, however it doesn’t need to be as supermarkets do lots of lovely bunches of flowers which don’t break the bank. I can’t speak for every woman but I think giving a bunch of flowers is such a lovely gesture because it’s not something you’d ever buy yourself.
- Photos – Gone are the days where you have to go to Boots or a photo shop to get photos printed (or send off strips of film), you can now order photos from the comfort of your home and even through apps such as LaLaLab which I have been using for a couple of years now. The quality of the photos is brilliant for the price, and they make such a lovely thoughtful gift (for £5 off your first order you can use the code PGVLW7C6 – this is not sponsored, the company just have a referral scheme which everyone can use and benefit from).
- Prepare a pamper night – Create your own spa like evening within the comforts of your own home, to create a super relaxing evening with your partner. All you need is a few face masks, maybe some massage oils, candles and any other face or body products you’d like to use that you probably already own. Even just running your partner a lovely bath with some bubble bath and bath bomb is a lovely simplistic idea.
- A romantic dinner – When most of us think of a romantic dinner, we think of a super pricey restaurant, however that doesn’t need to be the case. You could cook your partner a meal with a few candles lit and the lights turned off (if you need to disguise a few cookery mishaps) or even if you’re not the best at cooking supermarkets such as Marks and Spencers usually do a dine in for two deal.
- Handwritten notes – Okay this I guess is a bit of a soppy idea, but this is something I did for my boyfriends birthday. Within each of his presents I put a handwritten note in the parcel which contained a reason that I loved him or a memory with him which I loved. It’s such a simplistic idea but is a lovely way to show your partner how much they mean to you.
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed this post, let me know if you have any other ideas of how to show your partner how you feel without spending a lot of money.
(Sidenote: I don’t want anyone to by any means think I’m being cheap, I just think there are other ways to show how you feel which don’t involve expensive gifts, and as a student on a budget I am constantly looking for ways to try and save a little money so I hope these ideas help anyone else in a similar situation. As I also mentioned within my post I have bought my boyfriend presents.)
(This post is not sponsored, sponsored posts or pr gifts will be clearly marked with an *)